Good communication involves influencing emotions: it is the softest of all soft skills — and a delicate process to balance. Your clients want to believe in your company, and employing good communication techniques will build the trust that online customers require.
Sales happen when customers truly understand what it is you’re selling. The reason that good writing is so valuable is that it makes your business personable, relatable, and comfortable for your customers and clients. Respect your customers, speak their language.
People remember those who are unafraid to stand out
As a writer, I craft arguments to persuade, to sell, and to make people happy.
I am currently the Web Coordinator for Flawless Inbound Marketing.
My career has been enriched with experience in the public, private, and non-profit sectors. I had a previous career in Municipal government. I have also held the Vice-President position of a local non-profit (EBC) and have recently, once again, assumed a board position.
While in University, I was a Managing Editor for Earth Common Journal: “Earth Common Journal publishes articles written by undergraduate students, graduate students, and faculty. These innovative voices articulate student research, writing, and editing with respect to conservation, sustainability, and climate change.”
Doing clever new things with smart old words
Previously, I had a political column in the MacEwan student newspaper and have two published scholarly articles, one of which won an award while another was presented at the 2012 UN PRME conference.
My communications experience has been consistently varied and challenging. I’ve written client-directed content for subject matter in the areas of inbound marketing, business branding, criminal law, private medical air ambulances, oilfield engineering, medical marijuana, cosmetic dentistry, construction, and HVAC. In university, I was a Managing Editor of Earth Common Journal and worked with international writers on peer-reviewed, feature articles on water conservation and sustainability.
Previous employers and clients have noted my professionalism and I’ve never missed a deadline. I can work independently or on a team. I’ve excelled in customer service, conflict resolution, and event planning. I can pitch articles, write, and edit content. Moreover, I am a practiced public speaker with extensive experience gained during the three years I spent presenting before municipal and provincial tribunals on behalf of the City of Edmonton (COE). Additionally, I was on the Executive Committee of the COE Toastmasters club.
I am currently on the Board of Directors for the Edmonton Bicycle Commuters (EBC). In this capacity, I’m the Chair of the Outreach/Strategic Planning committee.
I’ve long fostered a passive interest in politics and have volunteered and assisted with the political campaigns of Alberta MLA David Shepherd, as well as City Councillor Ben Henderson, and the electoral district administration (EDA) for the Green Party in Edmonton-Center. I value active communities, both tangible and digital, which is a trait that lends itself well to cultivating engaged audiences through each of my social media marketing projects.
I recognize that the world is becoming unpredictable. Small teams of talented tech. savvy people with a solid cross-section of skills are more agile in the marketplace, faster to adapt to new ideas and trends, and just more efficient and getting things done. There is no digital project too complex to see through to completion.
If you have a message you need to communicate, let me help you.
- Web Coordinator, Flawless Inbound Marketing (2015 ->)
- Freelance contracts with JustLaw, Nyche Marketing, PixelNerd, and Backstreet Communications (2014-2015)
- I was a founding member of an online start-up company while in University
- Dental service copywriting that adheres to the Alberta Dental Association and College advertising restrictions
- Legal content and SEO optimization for criminal law firms
- Presented/Published RE: Alberta Water Markets at the UN PRME Conference: June 2013
- Documenting policy and procedures for a non-profit organization (EBC)
- Writer for the ‘Words in 3 Dimensions’ Conference Newsletter: Spring 2013
- Panelist, Canadian Internet Project RE: Social Media Use in Canada: 2012
- Award winning author, Presented & Published, Earth Common Journal: 2012
- Political Columnist, “The griff” MacEwan Student Newspaper: 2012
- Writer, concert reviews for gigcity.ca: summer 2012
- Writer, the-riff.com online Satire Magazine: 2011
- Toastmasters, Vice President Membership, Vice President Education: 2008-2010
- City of Edmonton, Residential/Commercial Assessment Court Presentations: 2007-2010
I have the skills to help you with: social media marketing (Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, analytic tools, etc.), online writing, copywriting, public speaking, business writing, technical writing, interviewing/hiring, conflict resolution, effective listening, sales presentations, event coordination, press releases, copy editing, proofreading, meeting minutes, grant writing, fundraising, HTML, video production, video editing, visual design, and basic web design.
Communications Degree in Professional Writing — MacEwan University, 2015
Diploma in Real Estate Appraisal and Assessment — UBC/Lakeland College, 2007
Additional Volunteer Work:
- Edmonton Bicycle Commuters Society (EBC) Vice-president: 2010-2011
- EBC Sponsorship/Fundraising Director: 2009-2010
- Successful grant writing for EBC: 2009
- Event planning/coordination (Bike to the Symphony): 2010, 2011, 2012
- Conducting exit interviews for EBC
- Writing summer job postings and interviewing candidates for EBC
- Toastmasters Executive Committee, Vice-president Membership: 2009-2010
- Toastmasters Executive Committee, Vice-president Education: 2010-2011
- Litfest authors table, 2013
- Bike mechanic with inner city youth program, “The Spoke”: 2013
- Federal Green Party, Edmonton-Center campaign: 2010
- Edmonton Municipal Election, Ward 8, Ben Henderson: 2010, 2013
- Team Captain, COE “Corporate Challenge” Mountain Bike Team: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Alberta Summer Games, photographer: 2007